Check out my other items. documents relating to the social history, archaeology and geology of East Moved to Winchester and came under orders of 85th Brigade in 28th Division. The website provides details of the history, the museum at Clandon Park, near Guildford and the Regimental Association which arranges reunions … 12 January 1916 : transferred to 95th Brigade in same Division. East Surrey Regiment Date of death: 27/03/1915 (aged 29) Cemetery: LA LAITERIE MILITARY CEMETERY Son of Maria Orbell (formerly Peartree), of High St., Thorpe-le-Soken, Clacton-on-Sea, and the late George Peartree. SHC ref ESR/2/2/25. In compliance with Tier 3 restrictions The East Surrey Regiment was created in 1881 from the amalgamation of the 31st (Huntingdonshire) Regiment, which became the 1st Battalion, and the 70th (Surrey) Regiment, which became the 2nd Battalion. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, … They will take over internal security duties in Cyprus from units now in Jordan. who will be happy to show you around, leave you to browse, or help with any The museum was renamed: The Surrey Infantry Museum. disabled access Lawrence was a Major in the East Surrey Regiment during the Second World War and was Senior Executive of Wilmot Breeden. East Surrey Regiment 1st Battalion Part II Orders 1915-1918. Cambridgeshire Regiment Camel Corps Cameron Highlanders Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) Canadian Expeditionary Force Cavalry Of The Line Cheshire Regiment Civilians Coldstream Guards Connaught Rangers Devonshire Regiment Dorset Regiment Duke Of Cornwall's Light Infantry Durham Light Infantry East Kent Regiment East Lancs Regiment East Surrey Regiment Thanks to the efforts of Colonel JW Sewell agreement was reached with the National Trust for use of rooms in the basement at Clandon Park. The museum opened in 1981. the museum is manned entirely by volunteers, many of whom have local Lovely east surrey regiment used just a handful of times. Grab an absolute bargain as starting bids on 5 next. 2nd Battalion August 1914 : in Chaubattia, India. East Surrey Regiment during WW1 Since 1815 the balance of power in Europe had been maintained by a series of treaties. He originally enlisted with the 3rd Battalion of the East Surrey Regiment on 14th November 1892, later transferring to the Territorial Force on 7th April 1908, and was discharged on 6th August 1911 to the Reserves (Service No. Website designed, written & updated by Ray Howgego. This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. With thanks to the Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment Museum. Surrey from the earliest times to the more recent past. Office open for enquiries Tuesday to Friday 10.00 – 16.00 (Saturdays by appointment). If you possess material relating to the Queens Royal Surrey Regiment … Sadly the collection was lost to fire on 29th April 2015, although with some items recovered from the site a begining has been made on restoration for the future. By woa2, April 29, 2015 in Battlefields, museums, monuments and memorials. Opening times: Wednesday & Thursday 10.00 am to For information regarding Explore the history and collections of The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment by visiting the regimental museum at Surrey History Centre in Woking. He was embodied at the outbreak of war on 26th August 1914 and rejoined his Regiment. The Museum, in anticipation of re-establishing its presence within the County of Surrey, is now accepting artefacts to rebuild its collection. The Surrey Infantry Museum was a casualty of the fire at Clandon House in 2015, but the remains of the collection and archive is currently held at the Surrey History Centre on Goldsworth Road in Woking, Landed at Le Havre 19 January 1915. Clandon Park before and during the fire of April 2015, (Click to enlarge) Email: shs@surreycc.gov.uk This took place on 1st July 2011. The colours, from top to bottom, were: maroon 26mm wide, buff 11mm wide, black 26mm wide. Surrey Infantry Museum, Woking. The new regiment's depot was situated in Kingston, where in the previous century a depot company of the 70th had been established, and which had served as a depot for both regiments since … First in a series of articles about the history of the Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment and its forebears. Tandridge District Council. The East Surrey Regiment was formed in 1881 by the amalgamation of the 31st who first paraded in 1702 as a Marine Regiment and the 70th who were raised in 1758. The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. 850 J’aime. Conveniently located The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment(Queen's and Royal Hampshires), http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/surreyhistoryservice. The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment. East Surrey Regiment Cap i do not have a means to test it but there is some sort of hallmark on the back. Surrey Infantry Museum tells the story of the 2 old infantry regiments of Surrey; the Queen's Royal Regiment, the East Surrey Regiment and their forebears. The Officers' Club celebrated the 50th Anniversary of the Battle of Salerno, September 1943. The Regimental museum and the Archive holding many of the Regimental records are both within the catchment area of West Surrey Family History Society. The East Surrey Museum is a small but highly attractive museum dedicated to the preservation and display of artefacts and documents relating to the social history, archaeology and geology of East Surrey from the earliest times to the more recent past. Surrey The Museum office can be contacted directly by personal visit, telephone or email. The Surrey Infantry Museum. 5.00 pm; Saturday 10.30 am to 4.00 pm. 5.00 pm; Saturday 10.30 am to 4.00 pm, Admission is free but donations are welcomed. Major upgrades took place in 2001 and 2011; the later with half funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund. East Surrey Regiment; This page summarises records created by this Organisation The summary includes a brief description of the collection(s) (usually including the covering dates of the collection), the name of the archive where they are held, and reference information to help you find the collection. in the centre of Caterham, a minute's walk from the station and bus routes, Finally, all the regimental family would want to thank Lieutenant Colonel Les Wilson MBE for his commitment, encyclopaedic knowledge of regimental history and hard work. Woking Surrey Infantry Museum at Clandon Park, Guildford, Surrey. The regiment was formed in 1881 under the Childers Reforms by the amalgamation of the 31st (Huntingdonshire) Regiment of Foot, the 70th (Surrey) Regiment of Foot, the 1st Royal Surrey Militia The regiment was formed in 1881 under the Childers Reforms by the amalgamation of the 31st (Huntingdonshire) Regiment of Foot, the 70th (Surrey) Regiment of Foot, the 1st Royal Surrey Militia and the 3rd Royal Surrey Militia. Main entrance to Clandon Park, the Corps of Drums, 1st Bn The Queen's Regiment line the steps, October 1989. These two Regiments were amalgamated in 1959 to form The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment. Second World War The 1st Battalion. (Click to enlarge) Cheques should be in GBP (£) payable to The Surrey Infantry Museum. (Click to enlarge) The Officers' Club celebrated the 50th Anniversary of the Battle of Salerno, September 1943. Photo shows Mrs. B.C. Website: http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/surreyhistoryservice, CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT STOLEN MEDALS ». I served with the East Surrey Regiment 1957/58 and … THE EAST SURREY REGIMENT STABLE BELT. You and The collection told the story of the most senior English infantry regiment from 1661 to the present day. The National Army Museum works together with The Regiment was formed in 1959 when The Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey) and The East Surrey Regiment were amalgamated. East Surrey Regiment Museum Fire news East Surrey Regiment Museum Fire. please see the 'Visiting' page. Regimental museum. Returned to England, landing Devonport 23 December 1914. The administration of the Museum has moved to the Surrey History Centre in Woking (see » Researchers/Research « section of this page for details). 57). Hong Kong Junior Challenge Shield (133 words) exact match in snippet view article find links to article King's Own Rifles 2 1923–24 HMS 'Danae' 3 1924–25 East Surrey Regiment 4 1925–26 East Surrey Regiment 5 1926–27 New King's Own Rifles 6 1927–28 Athletic. East Surrey Regiment British Army Cap Badge, used . Surrey Infantry Museum tells the story of the 2 old infantry regiments of Surrey; the Queen's Royal Regiment, the East Surrey Regiment and their forebears. Surrey Infantry Museum, Woking. The National Trust which owns the property has closed the site to the In 2003 Surrey History Centre was privileged to take in the records of The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment and its distinguished predecessors, which had formerly been housed at the Regimental Museum at Clandon Park.. The East Surrey Museum is a small but highly We will updating the pages as the salvage operation progresses and we are able to release more information about what has been recovered or confirmed as having been destroyed. attractive museum dedicated to the preservation and display of artefacts and GU21 6ND previous. Many of the officers who took part were present. The contents of this website are © The Queen's Royal Surrey Regimental Association, Clandon Park before and during the fire of April 2015, Entrance to the Museum leading to the Early Years, Maritime and Medals Room: same room on the day after the fire. Smoke and pet free home. The museum was upgraded in 2001. Donations, large or small, will be welcome. He served in India, eventually holding the rank of Lance Sergeant. Many of the officers who took part were present. The East Surrey Regiment was a line infantry regiment of the British Army in existence from 1881 until 1959. For further information please contact:- 1st Battalion August 1914 : in Dublin. knowledge, and is supported largely by donations and a utilities grant from The Battalion Orders are weekly lists of deaths, hospital cases, postings, promotions, leave, ration allowance, missing, arrivals, departures, appointments, proficiency pay, honours and awards, transfers, punishments and courts martial. On April 29th 2015 Clandon Park, including the Surrey Infantry Museum, was destroyed by fire. The regimental collection of historic documents, books and photograph albums may be found at the Surrey History Centre. The regiment's archives and library are located at the Surrey History Centre in Woking. The Surrey Infantry Museum is a charitable trust dependent on voluntary donations. The East Surrey Regiment was a line infantry regiment of the British Army in existence from 1881 until 1959. East Surrey Regiment War Memorial Gates; WMO ID: 159743; Condition: Good [last updated on 20-07-2019] Help update these details if the condition is wrong; Trust fund/Scholarship No Purpose: Unknown or N/A. The Surrey History Centre will now be dealing with research enquiries relating to The Queen's Royal, East Surrey and Queen's Royal Surrey Regiments (2nd, 31st and 70th Foot). Following the closure of Regimental Headquarters and Museum in the Keep at Kingston–upon–Thames the artefacts had to be put in store. … They would want the many Volunteers who supported them so generously to be acknowledged. October 1915 : moved to Egypt a… 850 J’aime. The Museum, in anticipation of re-establishing its presence within the County of Surrey, is now accepting artefacts to rebuild its collection. (Please check Surrey History Centre website for possible temporary closures), Registered Charity No 275470 The ‘Football Attack’ caught the imagination of the country, and illustrations of it are shown in the Regimental Museum, which also contains one of the footballs used. particular enquiries you might have regarding local history. The Collection is also available for public consultation. Served in the same regiment/ship/squadron Personal information shows closely matching addresses. The Surrey Infantry Museum was located within the National Trust property at Clandon Park. This image was created and shared by: Ruth mansergh . Members who served with East Surrey Regiment. If you possess material relating to the Queens Royal Surrey Regiment (or its forebears) and would like to donate it to the Museum, please contact the curator at the address above. The Surrey Infantry Museum was based at Clandon Park House, near Guildford until it … Museum & Galleries Commission No 428, A Charitable Trust Dependent on Voluntary Donations, The Surrey Infantry Museum is a charitable trust dependent on voluntary donations. Tel: 01483 518737 special, Wednesday & Thursday 10.00 am to November 1917 : moved with the Division to Italy but returned to France in April 1918. Surrey History Centre 'East Surreys in Russia - 1919' is taken from the Friends of Surrey Infantry Museum (FOSIM) lecture delivered at the Surrey History Centre (Woking) in November 2019. THE EAST SURREY REGIMENT. The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment Museum opened in 1981 with exhibits including uniforms, medals, weapons, regalia, photographs and memorabilia. The regiment was formed in 1881 under the Childers Reforms by the amalgamation of the 31st (Huntingdonshire) Regiment of Foot, the 70th (Surrey) Regiment of Foot, the 1st Royal Surrey Militia and the 3rd Royal Surrey Militia.. you might find the plan below useful while browsing the rest of our website. In 1888 Wilhelm II was crowned ‘German Emperor and King of Prussia’ and moved from a policy of maintaining the status quo to a more aggressive position. Entrance to the Museum leading to the Early Years, Maritime and Medals Room: same room on the day after the fire. Close Use this image under non-commercial licence. Please note that the regimental collection of historic documents, books and photograph albums has now been transferred to the Surrey History Centre. The East Surrey stable belt was 63mm wide, with two brown leather fixing straps - 18mm wide each, with two buckles. (Click to enlarge) Any questions please ask! Following the amalgamation of The Queen’s Royal Regiment and the East Surrey Regiment in 1959, the ownership and management of museum artefacts and archives was vested in The Queen’s Royal Surrey Regiment Museum Trust. Welcome to Forces Reunited the place where you can find information and friends from East Surrey Regiment.. We are the largest and fastest growing community of UK forces veterans on the web with over 500,000 members! On that day, the 8th Battalion won two DSOs, two MCs, two DCMs and nine MMs, but 147 officers and men were killed and 279 wounded. Landed at Le Havre 15 August 1914. Special thanks must be recorded to all the Trustees who have supported the museum since its establishment together with special thanks to our outstanding curators: Jean-Ann Stock, Richard Ford, Penny James and Ian Chatfield. public whilst restoration work is carried out. The Museum’s administrative functions continue to operate from an office in the Surrey History Centre (correspondence should be marked ‘Surrey Infantry Museum’ and sent to the address above). the museum is now closed until further notice. The Brigade consists of the 1st Battalion East Surrey Regiment, the 20th Field Regiment, R.A. 130 Goldsworth Road The East Surrey Regiment was a line infantry regiment of the British Army in existence from 1881 until 1959. Here, in October 1959, the East Surrey Regiment was amalgamated with Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey) to form the Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment. Cheques should be in GBP (£) payable to The Surrey Infantry Museum. There is a small shop where you can buy souvenirs East Surrey Regiment - Post 1945 Conflicts. In the same year, the Museum Trustees concluded that it was in the best long term interests to merge with the Trustees of the museum of the Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment and Queen’s Regiment. Conveniently located in the centre of Caterham, a minute's walk from the station and bus routes, the museum is manned entirely by volunteers, many of … In the meantime why not try our and a wide range of Bourne Society and other books on local history. Until further notice, the Museum pages will represent the situation as on the day before the fire. Part of 14th Brigade in 5th Division. your children will receive a warm welcome from our curator and our stewards, Donations, large or small, will be welcome. It couldn't be easier to find your way around, but regiments, from their beginnings in 1661 with the 1st Tangier Regiment to their incorporation into the Queen’s Regiment in 1966.